Sunday, October 30, 2011

Wednesday labs, buffets, and Le Puy en Velay with Matt!


In class today we made financiers, which are generally not my favorite cookie. They are sugary and sweet, but without any flavor. However, we added raspberries into the dough and then I consumed a lot of them. They are also a perfect coffee-dipping cookie, and three days into 6 AM labs, I need a lot of coffee. The sun doesn’t even come up until 8 or so!

We also made three different kinds of macaroons: chocolate, passion fruit and chocolate and then a macaroon craquelle.


There were three buffets this week; a petit gateaux and sugar display, a chocolate buffet by a very famous chocolate MOF, and a delicious and beautiful breads buffet.


I only was able to taste things from the gateaux display and the bread display, and we all went hog wild with the bread. There were amazing flavors and olive oil, and all of this stuff we never get. France has amazing food, however I think I prefer the variety of flavors you can get in America. I think we would all kill for a spring of basil or cilantro…because apparently they don’t exist in France.





I brought Matt back a petit gateaux of chocolate mouse, cherry center, and pistachio crust. He consumed it with happy noises.

After lunch Matt and I headed out to Le Puy en Velay, although I had already been there and he went on Monday by himself for a few hours. It was a beautiful afternoon (the only day this week it was not raining) and we hiked up the Chapel of St. Michael. 


We took the scenic back roads there and stopped in an old church on the way, looked over hills of beautiful trees, and all together enjoyed ourselves.
We stopped at a Michelin starred patisserie in Le Puy, and Matt had a Paris Brest for a snack (sort of like a donut filled will pasty cream).

We returned to Yssingeaux for dinner at Le Flo, because the two other nice restaurants in town are inexplicably closed all week. I had steak and frites, and Matt had an amuse bouche of pate, duck in red fruit sauce (currents, strawberries, raspberries) and then his third dessert of the day. Vanilla ice cream covered in chocolate ganache, not fudge sauce. He is eating more desserts than I ever thought him capable of! Matt loved his meal, and we have a great night before retiring very early so I can wake at 5 AM!

No comments:

Post a Comment