Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Lyon and Perouges

Matt came Saturday night!
During the day I went shopping and sightseeing in Lyon with Stephanie and Alice. We booked all of our train tickets at the Lyon train station for the rest of program, so now everything is planned and I feel quite accomplished.  I bought a silicone mold of little half-dome sunflowers that are so cute and I cannot wait to use. I also bought a French cookbook of chocolate desserts, and I actually clearly understand about 80% of it, which is great considering how little French I can actually speak. French cookbooks are so clean and streamlined, which is by far my favorite way to look at food photos.

We went in many kitchen stores and I loved exploring them all. Then we found Stephanie a dress for her sister’s debutante ball, and it looks wonderful on her!

Once Matt arrived he and I saw all of the major sites of Lyon. There is a huge gothic cathedral:



A beautiful Byzantine-style church atop the hill overlooking all of Lyon:


Roman ruins of a theater and an Odeon:




After finishing our sightseeing in Lyon, we picked up our rental car, a BMW one series.


Then we drove a fabulous fall drive through the countryside to Perouges, a medieval town on a hill top. It has been its own independent city since 13th century, and it was never ruled by a Lord. It is in perfect medieval condition. It was a beautiful way to spend a warm fall afternoon. Clear blue skies, warm sun, and a brisk breeze all encouraged lingering over the changing colors and cobblestone streets. Succulents tumbled over the ancient tile rooftops, huge winpresses and wells were tucked in corners, and all the vines gleamed a brilliant red.







No comments:

Post a Comment