Sunday, October 30, 2011

First Day of Morning Labs and Monistrol Adventure


 We switched lab times and chefs today, and now I am I class from 6 AM to 1 PM, with lunch until 2. Getting up this early is quite a shock after my leisurely mornings. My new chef, Sebastian, runs a very different kitchen than Josh, my previous chef. Sebastian explains methods and alternative recipes much more than Josh, however the kitchen itself is a much more stressful place to be. But, hopefully I will still learn a lot. This week is cookie and biscuit week, so we will be making things that are far less showy, but hopefully still delicious.

Today we made Madeline’s and Palets des Dame, and chat langue. I feel like I have commented on this before, but the French never put salt in their recipes. So, all of these cookies are very egg-intense, and they kind of taste like scrambled eggs if you don’t put salt in them. However, if you dip your cookie in very strong French coffee, the egg taste is overpowered and it is delicious. I will continue to put salt in my cookies.
                              
                    
For the afternoon Alice, Rachel, Matt and I decided we should take a trip to the next town over, Monistrol. One of the MOFs who did a demonstration at our school has a shop there so we wanted to see what it looked and tasted like. It was a little difficult to find, but well worth it. 

Chef Bruno Montcoudial was the only person working in his shop and he was all smiles and help, and remembered us from school. 

Matt spent a lot of time deliberating which petit gateau he would consume, and finally we settled on four for all of us to share.
Salted Caramel and Chocolate:

Chestnut flavored Mont Blanc:

Apricot Provencal:

“Red berries” of Haute Loire and Streusel:

Matt thought they were all amazing, but his favorite was the Apricot Provencal gateaux. He has discovered a newfound love of fancy French desserts. Who would have thought?

It was a rainy drive there and back, but it was beautiful. All of the leaves have reached their peak and we drove the scenic route through all of the valleys and cliffs of this incredible area. Taking pictures out a rainy car window while driving simply does not work, but I tried anyways. 




No comments:

Post a Comment