Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Versailles

Well, it rained. A lot. And it was full of tourists. However, I was so impressed with everything. Versailles is huge! The grounds were beautiful, and we saw a number of the different fountain shows which are set to music.






 The grounds are so much larger than I ever could have imagined, and it is somewhat open to the public for rowing, biking, running, or whatever. Can you imagine going for a morning jog in Versailles?! I cannot.



We first made our way back to the Grand Trianon and the Petit Trianon, which is where Marie Antoinette resided. Inside the Grand Trianon, there is currently a special exhibit which features modern designers clothes, inspired by Marie-Antoinette. It was full of clothes by Vivian Westwood, Givenchy, Karl Lagerfeld, Alexander McQueen, and many more. It was a perfect setting to display the clothes, amongst all of the grandeur of the palaces. We could not take any pictures, but it was a lovely experience. There were very few people when we arrived, so we were able to take our time and enjoy the beautiful palace. Flowers overflowed their beds outside the palace windows and alleys of trees expanded out in every direction.




After many hours of walking, we finally sat down to a warm lunch and delicious hot chocolate.

After lunch, we made our way back to the front to see the chateau, which had a far shorter line late in the afternoon. It was beautiful beyond pictures, and I really don’t like Louis XIV style décor, but this was beautiful. We say the hall of mirrors, the chapel, the bedrooms, and everything else inside the palace.





My favorite part was the couch-bed. I have always wanted a couch-bed, now I’ve found one!
I did not think I would enjoy Versailles half as much as I did. It truly is something I think everyone should see if they go to Paris, even though it does take a whole day.

No comments:

Post a Comment