Sunday, November 20, 2011

Au revoir, French dream!

The last few days of class, we made food for our graduation buffet and savory pastry applications. However, there was not quite enough to keep us occupied, so both days we sent about 2 hours every morning making different elaborate breakfasts. Our chef requested American blueberry pancakes, because he was heard so much about them. So, we had a selection of blueberry pancakes, raspberry lemon pancakes, and valrhona chocolate pancakes (YEAH!).

We also made some muffins and the staple, scrambled eggs. All of the French TA’s came in to see what we were making, and let me tell you, they turned up their nose! Apparently, the French NEVER eat scrambled eggs, and the prospect of a big breakfast is enough to turn them sour. We greatly enjoyed our feast.

The next day I am far too much free time so I made almond cream and currant tarts, berry parfaits with pastry cream and Chantilly cream, and quiche. I did have help from three of my friends, and then we feasted with the class!


Friday was graduation, and we all received our tall chef caps with much excitement!

They handed out of all the diplomas in a very random order, and I realized with some shock near the end that the director was running out of diplomas! However, it was all surprisingly wonderful. They hand out three awards, and I received the award for being the most talented student in the program! I was shaking with excitement, and then I was handed a 10-pound (I weighed it) cookbook from Alain Ducasse as a present. I could not be more pleased.



After graduation we all took group photos, threw our chefs caps, and then devoured the buffet of food we made ourselves. We had one last kir, (although not a royal, it was sans champagne)

and consumed savory macaroons,

Pistachio, litchi, and cassis verrines,

Smoked duck and peach macaroon,

Pate a pate en croute

Goat cheese lollipops,

And last, but certainly not least, two kinds of AMAZING caramel ice cream.

I cannot believe I had the opportunity to study here, and it was a wonderful two months to be a kid again. Now we can all hope I can obtain employment very quickly!

What I will miss most about France
I have spent some time thinking about this, and these two items may seem strange to some, but they are things that are not easily come by, and give me lots of joy.
The first is croissants. Plain, perfect, buttery croissants are the most delicious things to consume always. And they simply do not exist (good ones at least) almost anywhere in the US, and they certainly are not as cheap. All of the fillings are interesting and delicious in the croissants, but I love the plain ones the most.
Second, I will miss the magic chocolate tempering machine. Yes, it takes out some of the magic of chocolate, but it also makes it such a painless process. I could make bonbons every day and never grow tired of it. If I could do anything, I think I would open a chocolate and candy shop, but unfortunately, those usually fail in the US. I guess it will have to be an expensive and space consuming hobby!


No comments:

Post a Comment